[ltp] Spare HDD for TP760XL

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:50:43 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Harry Popov wrote:

> As I reported I am a newbie to Linux. After several months of labour
> I am ready to migrate 100% to Linux. The only problem is that I need
> more space to have all programs I need compared to windows. My HDD
> is 1Gb.
>
> Following the thread about changing HDD I see quite a few of you
> have done that. Please if some one is still keeing his old 6Gb or
> more disk and not going to use it in the future make me an offer. I
> will buy it. I need a RAM too.

I believe that the largest HD that the 760XL BIOS can recognize is 4 GB,
and you might have trouble with a larger one.

Try eBay for deals on 3 and 4 GB drives. You might be able to get one
for as little as $20.

BTW, a 2 GB drive is plenty big enough for a minimal Linux install,
if you leave off KDE, Gnome, and OO. Icewm works just fine on older
low-resource TPs.

Best of luck.