[ltp] Spare HDD for TP760XL

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:03:18 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Andr=E9 Wyrwa wrote:

> > IIRC, the 760XL hard drive comes in one of those cases, that make it
> > easier to swap drives in the compter.  Those cases also make it a *LOT*
> > harder to replace a drive.
>
> Why? You should be able to change the drive within the case, not?

Opening the 760-series HD caddies and swapping the drives within is
fairly straightforward -- just a matter of removing the tape covering
the screws, unscrewing said screws, opening the caddy, unplugging the
drive from the connector. Once you've done it a couple of times, it's a
five-minute operation, start to finish.

In fact, you actually don't even need the drive caddy on a 760 -- just
the connector (with ribbon cable) that is part of the caddy. I used to
have a couple of spare connectors, and I rubberbanded cardboard "spacers"
to the top and bottom of the bare drive to keep it from jiggling around
inside the computer.