[ltp] n00b question, what are your opinions?

Florence Berbain linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:46:49 +0100

>>Hi All,
>>
>>Just got a new t42 model 2373 3vu
>>Im not sure what the proper name of this model is but the stats are
>>

>>Id be interested in hearing y'alls thoughts on if SUse will
>>work out of the box or ideally If Debian will work with only
>>minimal tweaking. If anyone has had good luck with a
>>particular distro, Im open to that as well.

Hi,

I've got a T42p 2373-HTG since last December, on which I dual-boot WinXP
and Ubuntu Linux. Everything I need works well (wireless (Intel 2100) is
no problem, ATI accelerated driver works, haven't tried how acpi fares
yet because I don't really need it to work). I'm just mentioning Ubuntu
because you said you might try Debian but don't want too much hassle,
and this is exactly what Ubuntu is good for. It's Debian-based but with
a much more user-friendly approach (it even detected my wireless
interface correctly during the install, so it was able to download the
latest packages during the install over the wireless link).

If you're interested on Ubuntu, all the info is on www.ubuntulinux.org.
Unfortunately I have no experience of SUse, so I can't really compare
the two.

HTH,
Florence