[ltp] Thinkpad takes a coffee bath

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:31:47 -0800

On Sunday 23 January 2005 01:42 pm, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> Those old lappies make nice firewall boxes.

And slightly newer lappies, with or without their LCD screens, should make
wonderful servers.

I'm still getting ready to press two headless ThinkPad 570s into action in my
network, one as a firewall, the other as an outward-facing server. My ISP DSL
Extreme gives me three static IP addresses and allows servers, so I have to
set up an experimental Internet-facing server...it's a geek imperative! It
looks like I'm going to also buy a third headless 570 from my friend -- he
initially bought ten of them in hopes of building a cluster, and gave up
after he couldn't get them to boot off of Compact Flash -- to use as a
portable server for San Fernando Valley Linux User Group meetings.

What to put on a portable server? How about a portable mirror of Debian? How
about Linux .ISOs? How about local FTP and local chat servers? One of our
members brought around a mATX desktop for this purpose for a while, but
stopped because he just hated dragging the box around.

This will be easier to bring to meetings. Also, because this new meeting venue
we will begin using next month has wireless connectivity and some people
don't like wireless because of the security problems, setting up the box as a
router between the wireless subnet and a private wired subnet would be a very
good thing indeed. I know I'd feel safer behind such a configuration! :-) In
cases where we're at our old meeting spot which doesn't have connectivity,
this machine would allow for a local LAN configuration.

The hardware stuff is cake for me...I've pretty much got some of this ready to
go. But the software stuff...that's where the learning experience comes in! I
have lots still to learn...still a Linux padawan here, as my fights with
sound on my 600e shows amply. One day I will be a Linux Jedi. One day...
--
Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273