[ltp] Suspend on T23: a small step forward

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:50:56 +0100

Hello,

I now used kernel 2.6.10, newest ACPI patch (acpi-20050114-2.6.10.diff)
and a kernel configuration based on that from Michael Perry. I just added
some stuff I needed or thought I may need (ISDN). And I made an initrd.
I also applied the clock drift fix posted by Tino Keitel on thinkpad-ml
(CONFIG_X86_PM_TIMER=y).

Well I have one full and two partial successes. The full one:

1) Clock does not seems to drift anymore. I am not sure whether its by the
clock drift fix posted by Tino Keitel or by using newest ACPI patches,
but at least it works. I guess its due to Tino Keitel's solution cause I
did not read anything regarding a clock drift fix in the ACPI changelog.

The partial ones:

1) Suspend-to-disk works, well sort off: I again use "resume=/dev/hda7"
parameter as "swap:/dev/hda7" does not work. This time it actually
suspends to disk. Well and it even awakes from suspending and goes back
into my KDE desktop. But mouse (and probably other USB device connected
to the USB 1.1 on the ThinkPad") do not work anymore. This may be
indicated by this message I get on wakeup:

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: Unloink after no-IRQ? Different ACPI or APIC
settings may help
usb 2-2: klaptop_acpi_he timed out on ep0in

2) When trying the first time, ALSA sound worked after resume. In this
case I did not use ALSA sound before, but tried it after the resume. It
worked then, which is more than I had before.

Motivated this way I became adventorous and tried suspend to ram during
music playback by JuK (KDE's jukebox;). This time ALSA didn't work after
suspend.

Fair enough, I thought I can stop the music playback before suspending and
then tried the following: I played a MP3 by JuK, pressed stop, left the
program open, did suspend-to-ram, and pressed play again. Well also in
this case ALSA did not work after suspending.

One thing that still doesn't work:

1) My AVM Fritzcard ISDN adapter is not operational after suspending.

So in the whole I am not really that much farer.

Now I am a bit stuck on what to try next. I think I try compiling a kernel
without initrd.

I hope someday that this all will become easier. In an ideal world,
hardware vendors would provide all the information or even contributions
to the Linux Kernel to make the whole ACPI stuff work like it is
described on the ACPI stuff: Transparently without requiring that end
users fix issues.

Regards,