[ltp] Re: Suspend on T23: a small step forward

Michael Perry linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:27:32 -0800

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:29:16 +0200, Paul Ionescu <i_p_a_u_l@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:50:56 +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >
> > 1) Suspend-to-disk works, well sort off: I again use "resume=/dev/hda7"
> > parameter as "swap:/dev/hda7" does not work. This time it actually
> > suspends to disk. Well and it even awakes from suspending and goes back
> > into my KDE desktop. But mouse (and probably other USB device connected to
> > the USB 1.1 on the ThinkPad") do not work anymore. This may be indicated
> > by this message I get on wakeup:
> >
> > uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: Unloink after no-IRQ? Different ACPI or APIC
> > settings may help
> > usb 2-2: klaptop_acpi_he timed out on ep0in
>
> Try to unload uhci-hcd and/or ehci-hcd before suspend and insmod them
> after resume.
>

> --

Here are a few interesting differences between Martin and my setup.
BTW, Martin and I have been working in private email on this as well
for awhile.  I went through a few changes here to get the T23 working.
The ideas around unloading usb and alsa I have tried before as well as
trying to stop pcmcia services and restart them.  I got stuck for
awhile on the whole clock drift question and that's when I decided to
get the latest acpi diffs patch and apply it.  I don't use software
suspend 2 here at all so that is a bit different.  I also don't use an
initrd but I don't know how that would make a difference...  I guess
in the truly random nature of things it could though :).

I think overall the T23's Martin and I have are very close in software
and bios and kernel yet mine will do suspends and alsa starts back up
after a suspend event.  After applying the newest acpi patches I don't
have clock drift any longer.  PCMCIA cards just work now and they did
not with a 2.6.9 kernel during a suspend.  I have never had problems
with USB; in fact, I have a USB 2.0 controller on a pcmcia card I use
with an ipod and it comes back fine.

I'd like to get this down to a set of conditions where we could help
others with this laptop and perhaps even provide some corrections to
linux on laptops or whatever for a T23 laptop configuration using
ACPI.

--
Michael Perry
meperry@gmail.com