[ltp] high pitch noises with ThinkPad 23

Adam Olsen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:26:25 -0700

Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I read
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/Problem_with_high_pitch_noises
>
> and I experienced some similar problem on my ThinkPad T23. Maybe I am
> quite sensitive, but I heard annoying high pitch noises sometimes until I
> omitted the ACPI kernel modules "processor" and "thermal" (as it depends
> on "processor").
>
> Since then I let my laptop work without "processor" and "thermal". When I
> do a modprobe "processor" once the laptop booted, I get those high pitch
> noises again.
>
> Anyone with similar experiences? Anyone able to verify my observation?
>
> I hope it won't have any impact on the other ACPI related problems I have
> when I go without "processor" and "thermal". Since I use CPU frequency
> scaling I think I do not really need those two ACPI modules.
>
> Regards,

I certainly hear a high pitched sound on my T23 - when it's on or when
it's suspended to ram.  The sound gets louder when an ethernet cable is
plugged in and it's in suspend.  What exactly do the "processor" and
"thermal" modules do?  What are the disadvantages of not loading them?

Adam