[ltp] recommendation on external DVD reader/writer

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:51:21 -0600

Eben King wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, James McKenzie wrote:
>

>>I would look at as many models as you can before making your purchasing
>>decision.  I would demand DVD+ and DVD-.  Double layer is a nice plus
>>but I would wait to see what happens as there are two 'standards' out there.
>>

>And the discs are prohibitively expensive, unles you NEED >4.2GB filespace
>that you can't subdivide.

I agree. Forget about double layer, it's just this year's gimmick. I
predict that before the blank media comes down to reasonable price
levels we will have Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drives available, and then double
layer will be obsolete. I just bought a DVD burner, but instead of
getting a double layer drive I got a Plextor with a larger buffer.
Definitely get a burner that can write both DVD+ and DVD- media. Even
so, it will probably prefer one over the other so read the specs carefully.

wes