[ltp] high pitch noises with ThinkPad 23

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 05:09:08 -0600

Martin Steigerwald wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I read
>
>http://www.thinkwiki.org/Problem_with_high_pitch_noises
>
>and I experienced some similar problem on my ThinkPad T23. Maybe I am
>quite sensitive, but I heard annoying high pitch noises sometimes until I
>omitted the ACPI kernel modules "processor" and "thermal" (as it depends
>on "processor").

There was some discussion about this sort of problem on the Linux Kernel
Mailing List. Some people with laptops started hearing a high-pitched
whine when they switched from a 2.4.x kernel to a 2.6.x. The problem
turned out to be the faster basic interrupt rate in the new kernels.
2.4.x and earlier have a 100Hz rate, but on new kernels it is 1000Hz.
The higher rate makes some capacitors on the motherboard work harder and
thus they "sing". The solution for some was to go back to the old 100Hz
rate. I don't know if this is the same problem you have, but it might be
worth checking out.

wes