[ltp] recommendation on external DVD reader/writer

jcms linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:13:31 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

   Thanks,

   I think I am going for the Lacie drive with a NEC3500AG mechanism.

   J.C.

-----Original Message-----
From: James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51@sprintpcs.com>
Sent: Jan 24, 2005 10:27 PM
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Subject: Re: [ltp] recommendation on external DVD reader/writer

jcms wrote:
>   Very simple.
>   I own a Thinkpad A30P running SuSE Professional 92. and I'm shopping for an external DVD/CD reader/writer.
>   I'm looking for comments such as recommendations and feedback based on you own experience: positives and negatives (what should I avoid), etc.
>

>   1. model

Don't know, but it is a Pacific Digital with a NEC 2500A that I bought
at  Sam's Club for about USD 159.

>   2. connection type
>       ieee1394 [  ]
>       USB [  ]

USB 2.0

>   3. double layer
>       yes [   ]
>       no   [   ]

no.  I don't know if any DL drives are available in external cases.

>   4. media
>          manufacturer
>          specs

CD/RW, CD/R, DVD+-/R DVD+-/RW

>   5. comments

Nice drive.  Worked after I upgraded to Fedora Core 3 (maybe 2) out of
the box.  I had to get a USB 2.0 adapter card (actually a Firewire/USB2
PC Card)).

I would look at as many models as you can before making your purchasing
decision.  I would demand DVD+ and DVD-.  Double layer is a nice plus
but I would wait to see what happens as there are two 'standards' out there.

--
James McKenzie