[ltp] Re: T43 and T43p entries on IBMs support page

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:34:28 +0100

Kelvin KAN <kelvin@sgi.com> writes:

> What about those USB-Serial or Parallel converters?

You can't run a serial console over usb.  Which of course isn't used
much on laptops, but still could have been very useful when trying to
debug a crashing kernel.

And for my own convenience, I would also have loved an integrated
serial port. I would prefer not to have to drag the converter around.
There might be a few devices out there with a parallell interface, but
there are certainly *lots of* devices with serial console.  Servers,
routers, switches - they all have serial console.  Sure, you can use a
converter, but the question still stands: Why include a parallell port
instead of a physically smaller and much more useful serial port?

Bjørn