[ltp] recommendation on external DVD reader/writer

jcms linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:58:46 -0500 (EST)

  Thank you for your feedback.

   I may attach it to the firewire port first.
   The other alternative is to put it on a USB hub or a USB switch so I can share the drive with another computer.
   I'm not sure also if the Thinkpad A30P's USB ports are 1.X or 2.X. I have an USB hub attached to the dock station so I have the laptop USB port free.
   I am not going to burn duble layers DVD soon, I'm just planing for the future.

   J.C.

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Perley <perley@adelphia.net>
Sent: Jan 25, 2005 7:12 AM
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Subject: Re: [ltp] recommendation on external DVD reader/writer

James McKenzie wrote:

>>   3. double layer       yes [   ]
>>       no   [   ]
>

> no.  I don't know if any DL drives are available in external cases.

I'm pretty sure I've seen them, and really no reason why not since most
of these drives are the same as you would put in a tower case except
mounted in an external enclosure with an IDE/USB or firewire adapter.

In this type of drive with standard size parts I don't think dual layer
is much of a price premium at this point, but as stated dual layer media
is still a bit scarce and pricey.. that will change eventually.

The bigger decision is whether to pop the extra money for one made from
a laptop drive (or other ultra thin etc).  In that case you get more
convenience in size and maybe powering from USB instead of an extra AC
plug, but less speed and probably a greater price hike for dual layer or
  +/- compatibility.

In my case I leave the external on a USB hub with printer, mouse, etc
pretty much all the time, and just use it at the desk.

If your laptop only has USB 1 then an external drive can only write
about 2x CDR.  I'm not even sure if you can do 1x DVD, so you might look
into a USB2 or firewire PC card.