[ltp] Bootable live CD on 600/600X?

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:17:57 -0600

James McKenzie wrote:

>> /dev/rob0 wrote:
>>
>>> On Wednesday 26 January 2005 20:32, James McKenzie wrote:
>>>
>>> Nice try, but no, the machine reads the disks fine. Knoppix from the
>>> same CD-R and CD-RW stock boots and runs. The Ubuntu Live one gets
>>> through the boot loader.
>>>
>>> It's definitely a problem with kernel incompatibility.
>>

>> Sorry, I thought that the disk could not be read at all.  Hmmm.  I
>> have a Ubuntu Live disk here and I will try to boot it up in the home
>> 600E with the DVD drive to see what happens.  I know the disk works
>> because I booted it up (twice, once by accident) in my A22p.
>>
> Well, I think I got undesired results.

You are not sure of what you desire?

>   I think that I broke the BIOS trying to set the CD as the boot device.

Let's see.  F1 on power on until Easy-Setup appears.  Fly the birdie to
"Start up" and click. Fly the flag to "Power-on" and click.  The four
slots labeled 1-4 are the boot order slots, the eight slots below are
the place holders for the possible boot devices.  Fly the flag to
"Reset" and click to start fresh with nothing in the boot order slots.
Then click on CDROM and it goes to slot 1.  Better click on HDD-1 so
that you can boot normally later, it goes to slot 2.  Click on OK.
Click on Exit.  Click on Restart.  Click on OK.  It reboots, starting
from the CDROM if one is found, otherwise the hard drive.  Did this not
work for you?

>   Actually, I'm not upset, but this is the last IBM system I will be
> buying (hey folks, It's not because of IBM, but rather I will not be
> traveling internationally.)

You only need IBM to get past the border guards?  I don't understand.

wes