[ltp] ibm-acpi temperatures

Winsley von Spee linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:35:44 +0100

Am Donnerstag, den 27.01.2005, 09:26 +0100 schrieb Uwe Walter:
> On Do, 2005-01-27 at 04:32 +0100, Ernst Herzberg wrote:
> > temperatures:   38 44 32 57 29 24 24 26
> >
> > 4.:) ATI Graphics. Shure. (checked with Keyborad removed:-) and with
> > "DynamicClocks" "on"/"off"
>
> Very fine. I always wanted a way to check the GPU temperature.
>

> > 6.:) BAT1 (option in the CD-Bay). Shure.
> > 8.:) BAT1. Shure
>
> Of course! This would just be logical, if 5th and 7th are only available
> if BAT0 is installed. ;)

I can confirm

> On Do, 2005-01-27 at 07:11 +0100, Ernst Herzberg wrote:
> > Interesting. The fan begins working, if the graphic-chip  reaches 63°C, does'n
> > care the CPU. Only if the CPU reaches 90°C the gear goes up again.
>
> And this is exactly an idea, we had many times on the list:
> That the GPU temperature is involved heavily in fan control.
>
> Regardless how cool we can get the CPU, the GPU can still need the fan
> to run.
>
> Now, since quite some time, I'm interested in ATI's powermanagement
> features. In Windows, Powerplay (=reduced power usage of the GPU) is
> only activated, when on battery power. Which means, with AC power, the
> GPU does not activate its powermanagement at all or at least not every
> feature available.
>
> Has anybody yet found a difference in power usage/fan speed/temperature
> between AC and battery power (e.g. when using windows)?

For me AC on or off makes no difference. The fan is as loud as without
AC on. But ut2004 runs smoother if AC is plugged in even if the CPU
speed is at maximum in battery mode (latest fglrx driver, for normal
operation I'm using the radeon driver from xorg).

The GPU temp (number 4) went up to 79 while running GL intensive
applications but then it doesn't cool down to a normal value at about
60° it stays at 70° ....
The CPU temp goes up and down depending on how high the CPU load is.

> @ Alex: Do you happen to know, if DynamicClocks is used regardless of
> power source?

I think so cause I tested the DynamicClocks Flag while operationg at
power on and I heared a difference. (perhaps optimistic imagination *g*)