[ltp] Thinkpad takes a coffee bath

John Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:18:36 -0800

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 09:06 +0100, Roman Joost wrote:
> Hi John,
> >
> ... so, what happened to you Thinkpad? Does it turned on again or is it
> completly f****...

It's dead. It's currently in a box going into the IBM service depot. I
tried stripping it down, but decided I didn't have the time or hardware
skills to remove all the drive bays and stuff from the motherboard to
clean it with alcohol as others suggested (thanks for the tips,
though!), and it never powered up again.

So it was an $895 cup of coffee... next time I'll get the accident
policy! Anyway, I couldn't find any replacements on eBay for that price,
and have just a bit too much on my plate to want to deal with it.

Looking forward to getting it back next week! My old Toshiba has its own
hardware gremlins, but at least I have dual monitors going...

Thanks for asking!

Cheers,

--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"