[ltp] US Government May Not Approve Sale of IBM PC Unit

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:49:46 -0600

morpheus wrote:

>>But the stock price of the potential buyer, Lenovo, acutally rose by
>>about 7% on hearing that there might be obstacles to the deal i.e. the
>>market is pessimistic about the benefit Lenovo will gain from the sale.
>>If there is anything the US worries about may be the fame & prestige of
>>the tag "IBM PC Compatible" being stolen by the Chinese.
>>

>The US government doesn't work like the Chinese government. It doesn't
>care at all about "fame & prestige."  The only time the government ever
>stops a merger deal is when there may be monopoly issues, but this is
>extremely rare when Republicans are in control.

True, but the reported concern is not monopoly issues, but the fact that
the sale will result in many Chinese engineers spending a lot of time at
US IBM facilities learning how to run the IBM PC business.  This is a
good thing if we want Lenovo to maintain the high quality IBM is known
for, but the US government sees this as a security risk because all
those smart Chinese might have a spy or two in their midst.  If this
deal gets killed it will be on national security grounds, not business
grounds.  Someone in this thread already mentioned a precedent, where
the sale of undersea fiber optic cables to a Chinese company was denied,
not because it was bad business, but because of the control over
infrastructure that this would have given, essentially, to the Chinese
government.

wes