[ltp] HD spindown, reiser4 and laptop-mode

jeff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:53:01 -0500

On Thursday 27 January 2005 2:38, Michael Stilkerich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some time ago I migrated all my partitions of my T40p from ext2 to
> reiser4. Before that, I had my HD spin down well, e.g. I was able to
> surf the Web without the disk spinning up.
> Now I have the impression that it does not work that well anymore. I
> could not find any information regarding how frequently reiser4 accesses
> the disk. As part of the migration all my partitions except /boot and
> the swap are now on lvm2. Could this be a problem?
> I'm already thinking about getting back to ext2 or at least ext3, since
> this can be mounted with a longer commit-interval..
> Would appreciate any help!
>
> -Mike

Journalling filesystems don't play well with drive spindown because they
access the disk every five seconds or so to update. I recall seeing a post
some time ago about this... it requires changing an option with ext3 to
change the journal commit interval so that the drive can spindown.

hth,
Jeff