[ltp] S3-Hangups with X31 on 2.6.10 and 2.6.11-rc2

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:08:29 +0100

Johannes Wolter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I experienced several hangups, while coming back from the ACPI-Suspend (S3). I
> think one out of three suspends hangs. On the wakeup I think I hear the disk
> spinning up but the screen remains black and e.g. the caps lock LED isn't
> responding. The only think that's working is the Thinklight and pressing the
> power button for 4 seconds for reboot. In the logs /var/log/messages
> and /var/log/acpid There is nothing suspicious. I think there are no messages
> about the wakeup, only about the suspend.
>
> I tried the kernel 2.6.10 and 2.6.11-rc2 (I read somewhere, the problem is
> solved since 2.6.11-rc1), and I think I had the problem with 2.6.8 too but
> I'm not sure. Befor suspending I unload the ipw2100 and the usb-modules, I
> switch to VT1 and turn off the backlight with the radeontool. I think that's
> it.
>
> I would be very happy if anybody could give me a hint how to solve the
> problem, because I really like the ACPI-Suspend.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Johannes Wolter

Johannes,
it could have been useful if you let us know your TP type/model (e.g.
2373-92G).

A general checklist:

1) BIOS level (can check that with the dmidecode program)

2) your lsmod and lspci just before sleeping

I am running a T40 (2373-92G) which always wakes up perfectly and (now)
drains very little curremt while sleeping.

My path:

2.6.10
patch to 2.6.11-rc2
copied ibm_acpi.c version 0.10 in the src tree
patch for swsusp2 2.1.5.15
5 patches for the radeon framebuffer

Look in this list archive for the URLS.

HTH,