[ltp] [SOLVED]T40 ACPI and radeon. Thank you.

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:40:07 +0100

Pete Toscano wrote:

> Bob Alexander wrote:
>
>> After having approx 4800mW/h in sleep to RAM mode, now on 2.6.11-rc2
>> with quite a few patches I have went down to only 395mW/h when
>> measured off the expansion unit durinf a 40 min experiment.
>>
>> My model is a 2373-92G with a Radeon 9000 (M9) and a 1400x1050 lcd.
>

> Bob,
>
> I've been following your plight over the past few days and trying to get
> similar stuff working on my 2373-94U (sounds very similar to yours)
> running FC3.  My latest attempt has been trying Volker's kernel, but:
>
> 1. The power button's too sensitive to revive to running from ACPI
> suspend-to-RAM.  Instead, it revives to "shutdown."

Pete,
I am a Debianite :) My Power button is managed by the ibm-acpi module to
be associated with shutdown. I normally use to press the left Fn blue
button for a second or so to wake up the creature

> 2. SWSUP2 seems to hang on resume at "copying original kernel back."  I
> haven't tried testing with "init=/bin/sh" but I have gone to single-user
> mode and removed all the modules I could.  (There were three that
> couldn't be unloaded.)

swsusp2 went smooth from the very first time I tried. Obvious questions.
Are you using the correct version ? Are you sleeping onto your swap
partition ? Is the latter as large as you physical RAM (in my case 1GB
RAM and 1GB swap). Here are my settings for 2.1.5.15

# Software Suspend 2
#
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2_BUILTIN=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_SWAPWRITER=y

#
# Page Transformers
#
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_LZF_COMPRESSION=y

#
# User Interface Options
#
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_TEXT_MODE=y

#
# General Options
#
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_DEFAULT_RESUME2="/dev/hda6"
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_KEEP_IMAGE is not set
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_CHECK_RESUME_SAFE=y

#
# Debugging
#
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_DEBUG is not set

> I'd like to get ACPI running, but, really, I just want some ability to
> close the lid and have the machine go into a _very_low_ power mode -- if
> not go off -- and be able to continue from where I was when I open it
> back up.  Until the last few FC3 kernels, I've been working fine with
> APM, but that seems to have broken recently.  I can do APM resume with
> 2.6.10-ac10, but then the keyboard goes all wonky.  (Although I'm not
> really looking for a fix to this right now.)

I have associated lid and Fn+F12 to swsusp2 and Fn+F4 to s3 sleep to
RAM. hibernating is fast .. I would say around 10-15 seconds.

> So... Care to share what you needed to get things working?
>
> Thanks,
> pete

HTH,
Bob