[ltp] Bootable live CD on 600/600X?

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:28:07 -0700

wes schreiner wrote:

> You are not sure of what you desire?

A bootable system, which I got last night by removing the BIOS battery
and then reinstalling it.  Got the usual 161/163 errors along with the
error because the Trackpoint went south on me.

>>   I think that I broke the BIOS trying to set the CD as the boot device.
>

> Let's see.  F1 on power on until Easy-Setup appears.  Fly the birdie to
> "Start up" and click. Fly the flag to "Power-on" and click.  The four
> slots labeled 1-4 are the boot order slots, the eight slots below are
> the place holders for the possible boot devices.  Fly the flag to
> "Reset" and click to start fresh with nothing in the boot order slots.
> Then click on CDROM and it goes to slot 1.  Better click on HDD-1 so
> that you can boot normally later, it goes to slot 2.  Click on OK.
> Click on Exit.  Click on Restart.  Click on OK.  It reboots, starting
> from the CDROM if one is found, otherwise the hard drive.  Did this not
> work for you?

No when I started.  After I got the error messages on the screen, it
would not go any further.  I had to 'power clear' the BIOS and then
disable the Trackpoint (again.)  I got to the boot device setup and
selected the CD ROM before the Hard Drive.

Ok, now that I got this fixed, I put in the same disk that will boot my
A22p to Ubuntu.  Got a kernel panic.  Looks like Ubuntu's Live disk will
not boot the 600E (2645-5AU).  I do have a Fedora Core 1 DVD that I did
install on it.  I also booted it with FC2's and FC3's rescue disk.

So, something in Ubuntu's Live CD kernel is 'broken'.

James McKenzie