[ltp] Problems with Power-OFF

Nathan Kurz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:42:29 -0700

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:22:28AM -0500, Brad Langhorst wrote:
> > How can I run a BIOS update without having a floppy disc drive and without
> > having a Windows installation on my Notebook?
>
> it's possible to make a bootable cd using the floppy image from ibm...
>
> it's a little tricky but i think there are some instructions in the
> archive.

When I did my install on my diskless, cdrom-less X30, I found that
booting from Ethernet was involved but reasonably easy for Linux.
Probably easy enough to do for DOS as well, but I haven't tried it.

I used syslinux (aka pxelinux?):  http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php
There are some links from that page to other more general tools that
might be easier to use for a DOS boot.

Nathan Kurz
nate@verse.com