[ltp] Recommended Thinkpad Model? $1500?

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:18:28 -0500

Alejandro,

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 11:55:18PM -0600, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
> http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-840&productId=8717189&storeId=1&langId=-1&dualCurrId=73&categoryId=2072541
>
> That is a nice deal. I just got a IBM T42p with some more crap in it and
> was about $2000

     Looks nice, but I kinda have my heart set on 15" or bigger.
Right now, my plan is to hit IBM's site and see what fits in my
budget.  However, their "notebook finder" really doesn't seem to be
all that useful.

> You can call and make them build it for you and get some more if you
> get a cool Seller...

     How does this work?

> I used a T40 for work, it's small, thin, powerfull, and the most
> important for me, is that the HD wouldn't spin like crazy and was about
> 32C. My previous Dell 8600 with Debian was about at 40-42C and I had to
> use laptop_mode to make it cool down - This is why I'm moving -
>
> If you have $1800, You can really get a nice deal.

     A good friend has a T40, I've been watching him use it and it's
fairly impressive it's fairly sweet, but he doesn't use it as his
primary machine, so it's hard to say how well it would stand up to my
usage pattern.  It's good to hear that it runs cool... my tecra gets
dang hot.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com