[ltp] Problems with Power-OFF

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:51:42 +0100

Dirk Deimeke <debian@deimeke.net> writes:

>> it's possible to make a bootable cd using the floppy image from ibm...
>
> ok.
>
>> it's a little tricky but i think there are some instructions in the
>> archive.
>
> Do you have a hint?

I didn't look at the archive, but just tried this updating the EC and
the BIOS on a T42 to 3.04/3.13.  This could probably be optimized
quite a lot, combining the diskette-images and thus removing the need
for two separate CDs.  But what the heck, CDs are cheap and I wanted
to keep it real simple and idiot proof (since I'm an idiot myself...)

1) installed dosemu:

 apt-get install dosemu dosemu-freedos xfonts-dosemu

2) redirected floppy A: to a file:
 vi /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf:
 $_floppy_a = "threeinch:/tmp/floppy.img"

3) extracted the floppy image:
  touch /tmp/floppy.img
  dosemu 1rhj10ud.exe
  (follow instructions, accepting defaults)

4) created an ElTorito bootable iso image:
  cd /tmp
  mkisofs -b floppy.img -c cat -o ec.iso floppy.img

4a) at this point you may want to test the image:
  mkdir -p /mnt/temp
  mkdir -p /mnt/temp2
  mount -oloop ec.iso /mnt/temp -tiso9660
  mount -oloop /mnt/temp/floppy.img /mnt/temp2 -tvfat
  ls -la /mnt/temp2
  umount /mnt/temp2
  umount /mnt/temp

5) burnit
  cdrecord -v ec.iso

6) repeat steps 3 to 5 for the BIOS upgrade so that you have that CD
   ready too.

7) boot the EC upgrade CD and follow instructions, then repeat with
   the BIOS upgrade CD

Bjørn