[ltp] General Hardware Question - Mouse Problems with a KVM? (was Recommended... $1500)

Donald B. Altman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:48:23 -0500

** Reply to message from Bob Alexander <bob@ngi.it> on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:15:35 +0100

Bob,

Just a question re your T series and port replicator....

Have you ever had any mouse problems when using a KVM?

I have a T42p.  I hook it up through a KVM switch.  Using either a Thinkpad dock II
or mini-dock (I never tried a port replicator) I can't get my PS2 mouse
to work reliably.  It works reliably when I first boot.  Once I switch away from
the T42p and back, though, it's locked up.  The keyboard switches with no problems.

This also happens using XP, so it's not  Linux problem, but rather one in  hardware.

I've swapped every hardware component in the chain after the T42p with no change.  Also,
I used the same KVM hardware on my old A21p with Thinkpad dock and had no problems,
so it's clearly a T42p and docking station problem.  (Since the T42p has no PS2
ports, I have to use it in some sort of dock)

My current Kludgey workaround is to use a second mouse into a USB port of
the Thinkpad mini-dock and use the KVM to switch the keyboard and monitor.

I've lived with this one for 5 months while lurking on this list, pinging IBM support,
Googling, and everything I can think of.  If anyone has any insight to offer, I'd
be very grateful.

TIA,

Don A

--