[ltp] Battery charge control

Uwe Walter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:26:47 +0100

Hi Patrick.

On So, 2005-01-30 at 22:46 +0100, Patrick Huber wrote:
> I guess it's just a register or two one would have to write to.

Very likely.

But I can't find them (which does not have to say anything ;-)).

Even more interesting: If I set charge state borders [capacity when to
start charging, capacity when to stop charging] in Windows and do a soft
reboot, the values are kept and even used in linux.

If I power the laptop down, remove power and battery shortly and power
it up again, the values are lost (until I start the battery applet,
which sets them again).

I tried to use the ecdump feature of Borislav's ibm-acpi module but I
could not find my chosen charge values inside the dump. Not in dec, not
in hex. 0x24 was at least interesting, because it went from 24 to 29
(when I varied my lower charge interval from 25 to 30), but this could
also be purely coincidental. After resetting to the default behaviour
(start at 96%, stop at 100%), it was 00. Hmm... I think more test would
be necessary, but I don't even know, if the values are likely to be
found inside the ecdump...

(I would assume, there should also be a function inside the DSDT to set
these values, but then, I'm also not good at reading the dsdt.dsl,
sigh...)

@ Borislav: Are you reading this? Do you happen to have any more
information about the registers or are you also doing all this "by
hand"?

Greetings, UW(e)