[ltp] [Slightly OT] Model number update

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:03:46 -0500

Eduardo Jacob wrote:

> Hello
>
> I changed the original intel 2100 mini-pci of my T41 for a IBM Atheros
> a/b/g board. I guess the original model number which was 2373-2FG is
> no longer correct, but I don't know how to change it to reflect the
> new board, and let the computer to identify itself correctly.
>
> I really don't know if this is really necessary in Linux, but I also
> have Windows XP installed.

Well, not only is it not necessary, it is impossible to change the model
number! The model number does identify the original factory
configuration, but no operating system relies on the model number to
mean anything.

Now if you are running into the problem where your ThinkPad's BIOS is
rejecting your new wi-fi card then you can't fix it by changing a model
nuber, you instead must flash in a modified BIOS.

wes