[ltp] Overheating

Nicolas Dufresne linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 03 Jul 2005 14:08:16 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_STaj5VPy6Qp5UEZTfiWyVg)

Hi,

I bought a T42 a month ago, I've never experience overheating issue
until last week.  Here the spec of my laptop:
    T42 - 2378 RBF  (I know, RBF does not exist on IBM site, but that's
what is written under it)
    Pentium M 1.7
    512 MB RAM
    80 Gig HD
I'm using ACPI with speedstep_centrino driver combined with cpufreqd un
Gentoo Linux.  I don't have to explain that this was not a problem when
I first install my computer.  Right now, a simple loop like: while true;
do true; done will overheat my CPU.  The result is that the system shut
down on a critical temperature error ( 90-95 C) (note: removing
temperature module do the same result, but the bios shut down the
laptop, no the OS).  When idle, at 1.7 GHz my cpu temperature is 69 C,
which is really high for a centrino.  I had a DELL centrino 1.6 before
on which I compiled my actual Gentoo, it never become higher then 69 C
while compiling.  I didn't find any temperature monitor on Windows, but
I observe that it becomes very hot and then scale down to 600 MHz and
then come back to 1.4 GHz and will never get full speed after.

I'm suspecting a hardware failure, but I just want to make sure,

Nicolas Dufresne <Nicolas.Dufresne@USherbrooke.ca>
Étudiant en informatique, Université de Sherbrooke

--Boundary_(ID_STaj5VPy6Qp5UEZTfiWyVg)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Hi,<BR>
<BR>
I bought a T42 a month ago, I've never experience overheating issue until last week.&nbsp; Here the spec of my laptop:<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; T42 - 2378 RBF&nbsp; (I know, RBF does not exist on IBM site, but that's what is written under it)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Pentium M 1.7<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 512 MB RAM<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 80 Gig HD<BR>
I'm using ACPI with speedstep_centrino driver combined with cpufreqd un Gentoo Linux.&nbsp; I don't have to explain that this was not a problem when I first install my computer.&nbsp; Right now, a simple loop like: while true; do true; done will overheat my CPU.&nbsp; The result is that the system shut down on a critical temperature error ( 90-95 C) (note: removing temperature module do the same result, but the bios shut down the laptop, no the OS).&nbsp; When idle, at 1.7 GHz my cpu temperature is 69 C, which is really high for a centrino.&nbsp; I had a DELL centrino 1.6 before on which I compiled my actual Gentoo, it never become higher then 69 C while compiling.&nbsp; I didn't find any temperature monitor on Windows, but I observe that it becomes very hot and then scale down to 600 MHz and then come back to 1.4 GHz and will never get full speed after.<BR>
<BR>
I'm suspecting a hardware failure, but I just want to make sure,<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<TABLE CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0" WIDTH="100%">
<TR>
<TD>

<HR NOSHADE>
<BR>
<B><FONT SIZE="4">Nicolas Dufresne </FONT></B>&lt;<A HREF="mailto:Nicolas.Dufresne@USherbrooke.ca">Nicolas.Dufresne@USherbrooke.ca</A>&gt;<BR>
&#201;tudiant en informatique, Universit&#233; de Sherbrooke
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_STaj5VPy6Qp5UEZTfiWyVg)--