[ltp] X41 high pitched noise

Till Maas linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 03 Jul 2005 23:53:00 +0200

Hi,

I just got a X41 and found a strange problem. In the archive of this
mailinglist I found other haven a similar problem with a T41 but they didn't
have a soulution.

So, here's my problem. When I boot Linux with acpi support I hear some
annoying high pitched noise through a speaker but not through earphones.
Booting with acpi=off kernel option make the noise go away and it seems it
starts when acpi modules are loaded. Another way to get rid of the noise is
to play some sound even with the soundcard muted. dd to or from /dev/dsp
with /dev/zero resp. /dev/null shuts the sound down as well.

Has anyone any suggestions how I could get rid of the sound in a more
convinient way, maybe fixing it in acpi or alsa.

It seems not to be the wlan card because even without it the noise appears.
Booting windows, there isn't that noise, either, but this could be because of
the windows "soundserver" (starting jackd under linux helps to stop the noise
as well, but costs more battery power).

Greetings,
Till