[ltp] [OT] thinkpad resistant for inline skating?

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 4 Jul 2005 14:16:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Carlos Maldonado wrote:

> Jan Girlich wrote:
> > I take my R51 around like everywhere just in a small cover in my
> > backpack. And it has some rough times, so I think this is no problem at
> > all. Well, just shut it down and don't leave it in suspend-to-ram.
>
> does this mean that even so it is suspended-to-ram the HD is still
> working? I thought the only device working under these conditions were
> the RAM memory

Close.  I believe in under suspend-to-RAM the CPU slows down to 1% of its
nominal speed (what's that mean, it would consume (0.01)^2 times as much
power?), and all physical parts stop.  ICBW about the 1% thing; that may be
specific to one product.

                 Unix is user-friendly; it's just picky
                    about who it makes friends with.