[ltp] [OT] thinkpad resistant for inline skating?

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 4 Jul 2005 14:27:09 -0400

On Monday 04 July 2005 13:51, after a long battle with technology,
Carlos Maldonado wrote:
> Jan Girlich wrote:
> > I take my R51 around like everywhere just in a small cover in my
> > backpack. And it has some rough times, so I think this is no
> > problem at all. Well, just shut it down and don't leave it in
> > suspend-to-ram.
> Does this mean that even so it is suspended-to-ram the HD is still
> working? I thought the only device working under these conditions
> was the RAM memory.

You're correct in this AFAICT.  When you suspend-to-RAM, the disk spins
down and the heads get parked.  That means the disk should be highly
resistant to problems caused by moving/bumping the disk.

> if something else is working so I'm putting my laptop in danger when
> I run down to the cab with the laptop on my backpack? (x40)

No.  In suspend-to-RAM, only the DRAM refresh and whatever circuit
monitors the resume switch is consuming power.  Everything else (CPU,
disk, optical devices, LCD backlight, stuff on the PCI bus) gets turned
off, because those things suck power.

--
   Programmers are playwrights, computers are lousy actors,
   Users are vicious drama critics,