[ltp] Overheating again

Nicolas Dufresne linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 04 Jul 2005 17:41:51 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_F1yOMiePyF1n25/4VC9zgA)

Hi,

I called IBM/Lenovo technical support today and they told me that
overheating was a normal for my laptop and that if I send it for repair
they would charge me for it.  They would have told me that I'm stupid
and it would have been the same.  Then, I think they can't handle the
fact that I was able to monitor CPU speed and temperature on both Linux
and Windows, or they just don't want to deal with Linux users.  That
becomes a bit frustrating.

Right now I don't know what I should do.  Is there anyone experience
with this ?  Should I called back later expecting a more comprehensive
person?  My laptop is 4 weeks old and it crashs in 4 seconds making
these steps (since last week):

        echo performance
        > /sys/device/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
        echo 1700000
        > /sys/dedevice/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
        while true; do true; done

When IDLE in performance mode the cpu runs at 61 C and won't stabilise
when loaded by previous loop.  At 1.4GHz it stabilise at 80 C.   I fixed
scaling_max_freq at 1.2 GHz until I found a solution. My laptop T42
2378RBF 1.7G 512Mb ram 80 gig hd (IBM replaced the HD for me).  I'm
running Gentoo Linux this is enough to proove that it wasn't overheating
when I received it.  I also tested this with the same result on Knoppix
ACPI and APM, both shut down near 95 C.

Thanks for any tips or procedures,

Nicolas Dufresne <Nicolas.Dufresne@USherbrooke.ca>
Étudiant en informatique, Université de Sherbrooke

--Boundary_(ID_F1yOMiePyF1n25/4VC9zgA)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Hi,<BR>
<BR>
I called IBM/Lenovo technical support today and they told me that overheating was a normal for my laptop and that if I send it for repair they would charge me for it.&nbsp; They would have told me that I'm stupid and it would have been the same.&nbsp; Then, I think they can't handle the fact that I was able to monitor CPU speed and temperature on both Linux and Windows, or they just don't want to deal with Linux users.&nbsp; That becomes a bit frustrating.<BR>
<BR>
Right now I don't know what I should do.&nbsp; Is there anyone experience with this ?&nbsp; Should I called back later expecting a more comprehensive person?&nbsp; My laptop is 4 weeks old and it crashs in 4 seconds making these steps (since last week):<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
    echo performance &gt; /sys/device/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor<BR>
    echo 1700000 &gt; /sys/dedevice/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq<BR>
    while true; do true; done<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
When IDLE in performance mode the cpu runs at 61 C and won't stabilise when loaded by previous loop.&nbsp; At 1.4GHz it stabilise at 80 C.&nbsp;&nbsp; I fixed scaling_max_freq at 1.2 GHz until I found a solution. My laptop T42 2378RBF 1.7G 512Mb ram 80 gig hd (IBM replaced the HD for me).&nbsp; I'm running Gentoo Linux this is enough to proove that it wasn't overheating when I received it.&nbsp; I also tested this with the same result on Knoppix ACPI and APM, both shut down near 95 C.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for any tips or procedures,<BR>
<BR>
<TABLE CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0" WIDTH="100%">
<TR>
<TD>

<HR NOSHADE>
<BR>
<B><FONT SIZE="4">Nicolas Dufresne </FONT></B>&lt;<A HREF="mailto:Nicolas.Dufresne@USherbrooke.ca">Nicolas.Dufresne@USherbrooke.ca</A>&gt;<BR>
&#201;tudiant en informatique, Universit&#233; de Sherbrooke
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_F1yOMiePyF1n25/4VC9zgA)--