[ltp] Very dead looking R40

Tony Whitmore linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:48:06 +0100

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:05:47AM +1200, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 06:46, Tony Whitmore wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Not Linux related, but we have our fair share of hardware questions on
> > this list too. My R40 appears to have died totally.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > Is there anything else I can try?
> Check that the power supply is working correctly.
> A voltmeter should see approximately 16 volts.
> The centre conductor in the plug is positive.

Hi Christopher, thanks for the reply. I don't have easy access to a voltmeter,
but have tried another known working ThinkPad charger (same model) with no
results. (My other half also has a ThinkPad.)

> Too low a voltage would explain the non-working R40, otoh if the voltage is a
> lot higher than 16 this could have damagee the machine.

I'm not sure why that would explain why it doesn't turn on when the batteries
are inserted and the charger isn't. The batteries were fully charged when it
was shut down and would normally give over 3 hours run-time.

Tony