[ltp] Very dead looking R40

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:21:33 +1200

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 19:48, Tony Whitmore wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:05:47AM +1200, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> > On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 06:46, Tony Whitmore wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Not Linux related, but we have our fair share of hardware questions on
> > > this list too. My R40 appears to have died totally.
> >
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > > Is there anything else I can try?
> >
> > Check that the power supply is working correctly.
> > A voltmeter should see approximately 16 volts.
> > The centre conductor in the plug is positive.
>
> Hi Christopher, thanks for the reply. I don't have easy access to a
> voltmeter,
The neighbourhood electician or auto-electician perhaps?

> but have tried another known working ThinkPad charger (same
> model) with no results. (My other half also has a ThinkPad.)
Well that proves it.

> > Too low a voltage would explain the non-working R40, otoh if the voltage
> > is a lot higher than 16 this could have damaged the machine.
>
> I'm not sure why that would explain why it doesn't turn on when the
> batteries are inserted and the charger isn't. The batteries were fully
> charged when it was shut down and would normally give over 3 hours
> run-time.
It would not, I agree. Your computer couldn't have had an over exciting affair
with a thunderstorm could it?

Mine did and I am now stuck with a non-functioning LAN port.
So I have taken everybody's advice and got a PCMCIA NIC. So now this 'dongle'
thing dangles out of the PCMCIA slot and we are on 10% network speed. :-(
I think I'll get an extended warrenty on the next machine I buy. Please don't
mention horses, doors and bolts in the same sentence. :-)

btw, If in the fullness of time you find yourself in possession of a totally
useless system board which would otherwise end up in the dump, I'd very much
like to be able to buy it off you for spare parts.

--
C. S.