[ltp] Re: After effects of thunderstorm.

Mats Keil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 03:46:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Although I don't know where or how you can get your motherboard replaced, and
my r40 is (still) working, I only wanted to comment that I had a similar
problem...LAN worked while cold, and then the bit transfer rate slowed down
until it died completely.  IBM replaced the *whole* motherboard to fix it (and
by the way forgot to re-connect the internal micro, so I had to sent the R40 in
again).

Mats

Message: 41
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:50:37 +1200
From: Christopher Sawtell <csawtell@paradise.net.nz>
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Subject: [ltp] OT. After effects of thunderstorm.

--Boundary-00=_NtcyCSg8GzF+PR+

Greets Listers,
The LAN connection on my R40 ThinkPad is now very heat sensitive, and only
lasts for about 5 minutes before stopping.

To repair it, IBM want to sell me another system board at a cost of about
$NZ1000+gst. That's somewhat more than the R40's actual value.
( Fortunately I was sitting down when I heard that number. )

So does anybody know of a competent repair shop who could replace the Network
I/O chip for a more resonable cost?

I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who has a R40 which is
non-functional for some other reason so I can cannabalize it for spares.
Connection to Linux - The t/p runs it.
 ..
C. S.

Yahoo! Sports