[ltp] Rescue and recovery broken after installing Gentoo

Ben Jencks linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 05 Jul 2005 17:38:00 -0700

Well, I happen to have a WinXP cd lying around, so I started the
recovery console on that. FIXMBR didn't do anything (the freebsd loader
still ran), but FIXBOOT and FIXMBR in combination made it so I got a no
NTLDR error on boot. Unfortunately, I still can't load R&R from disk, or
use R&R from cd to restore to factory condition. I suppose I could try
installing the copy of XP I have, but its product key is already used
(maybe the key on the thinkpad will work?). Is it possible to use the
windows MBR to load another operating system without having windows
installed?

Ben Jencks