[ltp] Overheating again

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:10:17 +1200

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:16, Carlos Maldonado wrote:
> Bob Hentges wrote:
> > Now, as you seem to have found a way to monitor the CPU temperature on a
> > IBM Thinkpad, I would be glad to know how you did it, so that I could
> > check my CPU temperature as well. To give some information on my
> > platform: I got a T42p running Ubuntu.
>
> install gkrellm 2.2.6 or later
>
> it has support for all the sensors in my thinkpad (x40)

I just run this tiny script which works well for me.

tput clear;
while true;
  do
    cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/temperature; tput home; sleep 10;
  done;

You have to have the acpi system software installed and running.
I have an R40. I believe more modern or fully-featured machines have more
temperature points. Just snuffle around in the  /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/
directory area.