[ltp] T43p Accessories? (docks, bluetooth keyboard, etc?)

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 13:00:26 -0400

Hi,

     I posted here a couple months ago for advice on purchasing a
thinkpad.  Then some tax issues came up.... :-).  I am, at long-last,
about to place the order.  I'm told I can get accessories cheaper at
purchase time, so I'm asking for advice on what accessories to order.

     I'm really, really fond of docks and spare power supplies.  At
least two docks (office and home) and a power supply for each dock.

     I'm also interested in a bluetooth keyboard, if they have one,
because I really don't like the ergonomics of typing on a keyboard
that's fixed to the screen.  I prefer to put the laptop on a
relatively high platform (closer to eye level) and have a keyboard in
my lap.

     If I can find a somewhat smaller than full-sized keyboard, for
easier transportation, that's even better.

     I have two deals I've found.  I'm leaning toward buying through a
friend's connection at IBM.  The other option is the local college
computer store.  My friend's deal is $300 less, even with shipping,
but it's a DVD burner, not a multi-burner.  Also, I'm not certain that
it's the extended battery (though the listed run time is "(up to) 5.7
hours", which suggests that it is).

     Here's the price through a friend's IBM connections:

Merchandise Total    $2,339.35
Sales Tax              $142.94
Shipping / Handling     $43.00
Total                $2,525.29

Product Description: IBM ThinkPad T43p 2668 - Pentium M 770 2.13 GHz - 15" TFT
Dimensions (WxDxH):  13 in x 10.6 in x 1.4 in
Weight:              5.7 lbs
System Type:         Notebook
Processor:           Intel Pentium M 770 2.13 GHz
Cache Memory:        2 MB - L2 cache
RAM:                 1 GB (installed) / 2 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM - 533 MHz
Hard Drive:          60 GB - 7200 rpm
Display:             15" TFT active matrix UXGA (1600 x 1200)
Graphics Controller: ATI MOBILITY FIRE GL V3200 - 128 MB
Audio Output:        Sound card
Telecom:             Fax / modem

Built-in Devices     Stereo speakers
                     wireless LAN antenna
                     fingerprint reader
                     Bluetooth antenna
                     Optical Storage
                     DVD-Writer - plug-in module

Networking:          Network adapter - Ethernet,
                     Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet,
                     Bluetooth,
                     IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g

Wireless NIC:        Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG
Input Device:        Keyboard, TrackPoint, UltraNav
Power:               AC 110/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
Battery:             Lithium ion
                     Run Time (Up To) 5.7 hour(s)

Operating System:    Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Manufacturer Warranty, 3 years warranty

     Here's the price from the local college computer store:

price        $  2646.00
7% sales tax $   185.22
             $  2831.22

t43p