[ltp] [OT] thinkpad resistant for inline skating?

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:23:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Jan Girlich wrote:

> Carlos Maldonado schrieb:
>
> > Jan Girlich wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> I take my R51 around like everywhere just in a small cover in my
> >> backpack. And it has some rough times, so I think this is no problem
> >> at all. Well, just shut it down and don't leave it in suspend-to-ram.
> >

> > does this mean that even so it is suspended-to-ram the HD is still
> > working? I thought the only device working under these conditions were
> > the RAM memory
>
> Well, I thought I read a warning from IBM like in their manuals that a
> TP in suspend-to-ram may wake up while carried around and thus will be
> vulnerable to damage.
> But I can't find that statemant anymore.
> So don't worry.

That's true under Windows at least.  If a TP is suspended-to-RAM then
depending on the settings in the "Power" control panel it may wake up after
a while and suspend itself to disk without your intervention.

SCORPIO:  Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming
from an open window.  Work a little harder on improving your low self
esteem, you stupid freak.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_