[ltp] Overheating again

Peter Lemken linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:04:00 +0000

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 20:36, John Shane wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 11:53:36 -0400
>
> Carlos Maldonado <kamihacker@sohost.net> wrote:

> > do you have ibm_acpi module installed? maybe that's necessary, although
> > I'm not sure
>
> Good question.  The kernel config file says CONFIG_ACPI=y and
> CONFIG_ACPI_IBM=m.  But there is no ibm_acpi module in the list when I run
> lsmod. More detective work to do.  John

You should download, compile and install the latest version 0.11 of the
ibm-acpi module. It can be found at ibm-acpi.sf.net and you should manually
insert the module with 'modprobe ibm-acpi experimental=1'. The 'experimental'
option lets you then use /proc/ibm/thermal and /proc/ibm/fan.

The ibm-acpi module of the official 2.6.11 kernels is older and does not
provide these features.

Peter Lemken
Berlin