[ltp] Line In recording on an R51

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:10:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Ignacio Fernández Galván wrote:

> Peter Lemken, 10-07-2005:
>
> > the R51 only has two audio jacks: Mic In and Headphone out. I haven't
> > figured
> > out how to use the input jack for recordings with a non-mic input line.
> >
> > Is there a soft switch in the audio device that can be used, and if
> > there is,
> > how do you do it?
>
> I haven't tried it, but probably all you need is (with kmixer) activating
> the mic as recording source in the input tab (the red light), and, in the
> parameters tab, deactivating mic boost (line-in is pre-amplified) and
> activating stereo mic (if the source is stereo). At least that's what I'd
> do with my R51 1829-R6G.

That mic jack was quite tolerant of an impedance mismatch then -- a
microphone port and a line in port nominally expect impedances maybe six
times apart.  If you keep the input level low you may get by.

VIRGO:  All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except
for you.  Expect a big surprise today when you wind up with your
head impaled upon a stick.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_