[ltp] poll: how is your battery? (9-cell-battery lost about 25% capacity in 10 months)

Fionn Behrens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:16:08 +0200

My T42p's 9-cell battery with an advertised capacity of 72Wh started out
at 71,6 on the first day. I didnt mind very much until some 2 months
later a new unit for a colleague arrived and had more than 73Wh.

Now my battery has gone well below 60Wh although it was only moderately
used and I even kept it out of the notebook in a cool place for extended
periods as recommended for LiIon cells.

If this was an el-cheapo notebook I might not be surprised but I think a
high-end unit with a sales price of well over 3000 Euros should not
suffer such a capacity loss in that short a time.
Additionally the notebook battery of my colleague shows a much less
steep "degradation curve".
I called IBM service and they told me they would only change the battery
if some ominous "battery health monitor" in windows says the battery is
bad. Too bad I sold my windows license already and kicked the shit off
the harddrive.
Since IBM started to sell T42p's without windows recently I wonder what
those customers are up to if their batteries fail ;-)

What would you say, is a loss of 25%-30% in 10 months really acceptable
for a quality battery? What are your own experiences?

sunny summer greetings,
			Fionn
--
 "We view Intellectual Property theft as a threat
  to our national security," (http://beam.me.to/?iptheft-terrorism)