[ltp] poll: how is your battery? (9-cell-battery lost about 25% capacity in 10 months)

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:09:37 -0400 (EDT)

> if you're using ACPI you can simply `cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/*'

> design capacity:         71280 mWh
> last full capacity:      56720 mWh

	This is what the battery that came with my T42p reports:

design capacity:         71280 mWh
last full capacity:      66980 mWh

	But according to what I've read, you shouldn't run the battery
down to as close to 0% as possible, and recharge. THAT kills
batteries.

	I had a T23 that I judiciously would charge to full, unplug,
use on battery until 0%, recharge, etc. The battery itself died
completely 2 days before the 1-year warrantee on it was up. I called
IBM and they sent me a new one, but told me that the fastest way to
kill the battery was to force it through more recharge cycles, just as
I did.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com