[ltp] poll: how is your battery? (9-cell-battery lost about 25% capacity in 10 months)

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:43:41 -0400

I've had quite the opposite experience.  I maintained about 25 Dell
laptops at a previous job, and we had to replace their batteries pretty
much every year because they only would last about 5 minutes.  On the
other hand, I'm still using my thinkpad battery that's well over 2 years
old.  It has less than a third of its original capacity, but I can still
get about an hour out of it.

One thing I think people should realize is that battery technology has
changed a lot over time.  Newer devices are far more power hungry, so
the primary design goal in new batteries is to get more power density.
Another design goal is reducing the memory effect so people can be more
careless in their recharging habits.  Both of these are fairly well
accomplished with Lithium Ion batteries. However, this is done at the
expense of recharge cycles.  The old Nickel Cadmium batteries could
handle about 1000 recharge cycles.  Nickel Metal Hydride could take
about 500.  Lithium Ion only can handle 200.  Battery manufacturers
don't care since it means you'll buy more.  They've made your device run
longer and better, you just have to pay for it.  So those of us who have
used the older battery types before are certainly going to be
disappointed with the short lifespan of a Lithium Ion battery.  Don't
blame that on the thinkpad.  It's just a cost of high power density.

Joel