[ltp] [OT] thinkpad resistant for inline skating?

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:22:54 +0200

Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> writes:
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, cr wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 10:17, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
>>
>> > I would not do that, not because of any risk to the computer, ThinkPad=
s are
>> > built to withstand serious mechanical abuse, but because of the risk of
>> > damage to your back. Back injuries can be seriously debilitating.
>>
>> I suppose it wouldn't be the case that the Thinkpad, being flat, might
>> actually provide some protection when landing on something?
>
> A flat surface, plus a Thinkpad, is not flat in total.  I think that if t=
he
> Thinkpad were larger than your back (or at least larger than the part of
> your back that contacts the ground), you'd be correct (but it'd be hard to
> carry around then).

There have been examples of people doing too high wheelies using a
Thinkpad as back "protection", without any damage to neither back nor
Thinkpad.  But I believe that's more luck than anything else...

Those who read norwegian could Google no.alt.motorsykler for more
details.

To be totally off-topic, I crashed carrying a Compaq N410c powered
on(!) a couple of years ago.  Not much of a crash though, but enough
to make me hit the road.  The damages to the bike should indicate the
low impact: http://www.mork.no/~bjorn/bilder/krasj/

(For those interested:  The crash was caused by a car suddenly
changing lanes in front of me)

The laptop survived just fine without any injuries.  But YMMV

I didn't really intend to drive around with the laptop powered on. But
the suspend-to-ram was often unreliable on the N410c.  This was one of
many times when it failed and the laptop stayed on.

To try to make it on-topic again:  It ran Linux of course.  I believe
that's why it didn't crash when I did :-)

Bjørn