[ltp] [Power management] DynamicClocks

Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:41:59 +0100 (BST)

>> # grep Dynamic XFree86.0.log
>> (WW) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicClocks" is not used

> You need to run X.org for this. XFree86 doesn't support this.

Sorry to be dim about this one, but last time I looked (some time
ago), you needed to hack Xorg to use PowerPlay, and thus I presume
DynamicClocks.  Can it be used now in standard Xorg?  I don't use
the evil ATi drivers, and don't appear to have it turned on on my T40:

# grep -i Dynamic /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) RADEON(0): Dynamic Clock Scaling Disabled
(II) RADEON(0): Dynamic Clock Scaling Disabled

# lspci | grep ATI
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250
Lf [FireGL 9000] (rev 02)

- which seems a bit odd, as I'm sure my T40 has a Radeon Mobility 9000
M9, as Xorg.0.log seems to indicate - I thought the FireGL was the
T40p series etc., but maybe my memory's failing and it's the same
thing. Xorg.0.log says:

(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf [Radeon Mobility 9000 M9] rev 2, Mem @ 0xe0000000/27, 0xc0100000/16, I/O @ 0x3000/8
(--) Chipset ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (M9) Lf (AGP) found
(--) RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (M9) Lf (AGP)" (ChipID = 0x4c66)

Fedora Core 4:
# rpm -q xorg-x11
xorg-x11-6.8.2-37

Is there something I can do in plain Xorg to turn this on?  I'd like
a cooler lap...