[ltp] Beginner: best starter config

Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:30:10 -0400

I'll add another voice to the chorus for Ubuntu. It's free/Free, very stable,
easy to use, and has a great community surrounding it. You're almost sure to
have everything working perfectly right off the bat, with the possible
(probable?) exception of power management. You'll probably want to disable ACPI
and use APM for power management. In my experience on my former T20, ACPI never
quite worked right, but APM was flawless.

I've also used Fedora 2 and 3, haven't tried 4 yet. The installer is
nicer/prettier than Ubuntu's, but I experienced more flakiness and overall it
was a heavier/slower distro than Ubuntu. Fedora comes on 4 CDs or one DVD,
while Ubuntu fits on one CD. Granted, Fedora includes a lot more packages in
those 4 CDs, but as a beginner you're not likely to need them. Fedora also
starts a lot of unnecessary services by default (who still uses ISDN???), but
there's a nice graphical tool to turn them off.

Good luck and welcome to Linux!

Joe