[ltp] [Power management] DynamicClocks

Paul RIVIER linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:23:02 +0200

Greg Macek wrote:

>What kind of temperature differences are you seeing when DynamicClocks
>is running vs. not? It says it's enabled for me, but I'm not sure what
>benefit I'm really seeing.

With no DynamicClocks, and with no fan (cf my scripts, you should really
give them a try, they work like a charm ;) ), my GPU - cat
/proc/acpi/ibm/thermal : the 4° value - remains stable at around 50 °C.
With dynamicClocks, it reaches 60 °C and waste power (more than 1 watt).
Please let me tell you that under 55 °C, fan is *useless* and wastes 0,7
to 1 Watt, so if your fan is supported by the last ibm-acpi, you sould
use my scripts (or yours if you do not like mines) to save power and
avoid noise :)

paul