[ltp] [Power management] DynamicClocks

Paul RIVIER linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:21:02 +0200

Michael Olbrich wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 08:23:02PM +0200, Paul RIVIER wrote:
>

>>With no DynamicClocks, and with no fan (cf my scripts, you should really
>>give them a try, they work like a charm ;) ), my GPU - cat
>>/proc/acpi/ibm/thermal : the 4° value - remains stable at around 50 °C.
>>With dynamicClocks, it reaches 60 °C and waste power (more than 1 watt).
>>

>I guess I have to restart X at some point to enable this...

of course it was the opposite, i am sorry.
DynamicClocks ==> GPU = 50°C ; total consumption = 12W
No DynamicClocks ==> GPU = 60°C ; total consumption = 13W

Yes, you will need to restart x.org to switch.

>>Please let me tell you that under 55 °C, fan is *useless* and wastes 0,7
>>to 1 Watt, so if your fan is supported by the last ibm-acpi, you sould
>>use my scripts (or yours if you do not like mines) to save power and
>>avoid noise :)
>>

>Errr, why would I need a script for that? My fan does that without any
>interfering software. Or is that model speciffic?

All recent T and R series I think. At least my T42 :)
To be more precise, with no software management, fan starts when CPU
temp overcome 40°C, then never stops.
Thoses scripts are aimed to stop the fan if the temp is low enought (i
think that my CPU does not need a fan when under 55°C), that is it.
Anybody runs windows sometime and can tell us more about fan behavior
with windows ?

paul