[ltp] Beginner: best starter config

Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:31:44 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:55, Davide Eletto wrote:
> Dear All,
> Can anyone of you give me a suggestion for the best linux distribution
> for my Thinkpad T21?

I'd say consider Fedora on your list too.  All the distros Bret has
recommended are of course fine also: it depends keenly on what you
want from a distro.  But rpm dependency hell really *is* a thing of
ancient history now if you run a modern Red Hat based distro like
Fedora and use yum (or apt).  And stick the reputable repositories.
The "Extras" and Livna repositories have expanded rapidly in the last
6 months, and there's not much I need that isn't there (and I'm
needy!).  And installation is blissfully easy.

If you want a longer-lasting installation with less leading edge
packages, but don't want to pay, consider CentOS, which is a rebuild
of Red Hat Enterprise (along with others), thus 7 year's support.
But as Bret says, the package quantity is less - really more suitable
for a server (which is what I use it for).

This isn't to negate Bret's recommendations too - just that I've been
round the block too with Debian etc., and settled back on Fedora/Red
Hat distributions.