[ltp] another poll: how much data fits on your DVD-RAM? (capacity problems with Thinkpad Multiburner UJ-812 ?)

Michael Keyl linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:18:30 +0200

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 15:27, Fionn Behrens wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> recently we have begun to use DVD-RAM at work so I was glad to have the
> multiburner at hand. Unfortunately it turned out that the DVD-RAMs were
> seemingly written different in the Desktop Drives (mostly LG) and in the
> Thinkpads UJ-812 drive.
>
> Formatting a DVD-RAM in the desktop drive yields:
>
> #> mke2fs -m0 -L test /dev/hdc
> #> mount /dev/dvd /dvd
> #> df /dvd
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hdc               4403064        20   4403044   1% /dvd
>
> Formatting the same media in the Thinkpad gives me:
>
> #> df /dvd
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hdc               4128444        20   4128424   1% /dvd
>
> That is roughly 300MB less capacity in the Multiburner!!

On my machine (but its an UJ-811, this is at least what ide_info tells me ...)
I get

michael@gelati:~> df /media/dvdram/
/dev/hdc               4402628   3904558    274400  94% /media/dvdram

which is almost identical to the value in your desktop. I have formatted the
medium (if I remember correctly) just with mke2fs -b 2048 /dev/hdc. The
remaining difference in capacity seems to be caused by different -m settings.

Michael